Apply early. Supervisors can accept students on a first-come, first-served basis, and the programme may close early if it reaches capacity.
Minimum Academic Requirements
Entry to the PhD programme is competitive, and usually requires that applicants have the following minimum qualifications:
- Normally a postgraduate master's degree from an accredited institution in the UK or overseas (we accept applications from those still currently studying for a masters, but any offer will be conditional on successful completion at the required standard).
- Evidence of above-average academic achievement (more than 65% overall) and normally a postgraduate master's dissertation with distinction (UK equivalent). MBA or master's students without a dissertation are welcome to apply and should normally provide evidence of distinction level work (UK equivalent).
- Your official transcript and grading scheme must be provided when you submit your application.
Please note: If you are currently studying for, or have recently completed an undergraduate degree and do not yet have a Masters qualification please consider applying for our MSc by Research programme.
You need to consider your research proposal and other supporting documents before submitting an application. Only complete applications showing all necessary documents will be considered.
The one exception to this is you may submit your English language certificate after you have submitted your online application for the PhD programme. Any offer made would be conditional on provision of your English certificate at the minimum level.
Your Proposed Research
Before applying, you need to write a research proposal.
Please note: Your research proposal is liable to be submitted to the Turnitin plagiarism detection system.
We strongly recommend you make contact with a potential supervisor before applying. In your application, you must name a potential supervisor (or up to three in order of preference) for your application to be considered.
Minimum English Language Requirements
If English is not your first language, you will need to satisfy one of the following requirements:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0 (with no score lower than 6.0 in each section)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT: 100 (with scores no lower than 20 in each section)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 67 (with at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): an overall score of 185 (with no less than 169 in each skill)
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): an overall score of 185 (with no less than 169 in each skill)
- Trinity Integrated Skills in English (ISE): ISE III with a pass in all four components
Conditions and Exemptions
- No results from testing systems other than those listed above will be accepted.
- Your English-language certificate must be no more than three years old at the beginning of your degree course, unless you are using an English language test such as IELTS or TOEFL for entry, in which case it must be no more than two years old.
- A degree from a UKVI Majority English Language Country English-language university may be accepted in lieu of test scores and must be no more than three years old at the programme start date. Details of these countries can be found on the UK Government website – Student Visa English Requirements.
If you are an international student, you may need to apply for permission to study in the UK. Student Administration provides information on immigration and visa requirements for students.Immigration Information